Saturday, December 31, 2005

lost - one Collie

Today's run was certainly eventful. The Master and I decided to go off road and into Swinley Forest again. We'd planned on a seven miler (to fit in with the training schedule) but the Master has a recurring ankle injury and it was playing up. So I thought it would be a short one but that I'd have plenty of opportunity to go in some ponds, chase any wildlife slow enough to give me a chance and generally get filthy. Anyway we were about to set off when the Master recognised one of his friends and erstwhile running partners in the distance. Boring for me you may think, but no, the mistress in question has a large two year old German Shepherd, and we are great mates. Off we went tombolling into each other; chasing each other; seeing who could run fastest, farthest etc etc. What fun. Then we ran into a border collie, just like me (only smaller and not as handsome as my Master reassured me) and he appeared to be alone in the wood. He (for it was definitely a male dog as he tried to mount my friend a couple of times) joined in with us for our five mile jaunt together with the Master and his runner friend. Well, he was great fun, although he never introduced himself properly. He didn't have a collar on like me so the Master had no idea what he was called. Still he was a good runner, in need of a bit of attention I think though. When we got back to base the Master tried to find his owner but he ran off into the woods, never to return again, or at least not before we had departed. I tell you, I was as filthy as I have ever been and the mess I made of the car was a joy to behold and a nice tidy job for the Master for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments: