Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Post Christmas Day blues

It's been two days since we had a run together. My Mistress has taken me out a couple of times for a tediously slow walk around the block, but most of the time both she and the Master seem to have been glued to the goggle box and going out. He can ill afford to eat and drink like he does but he doesn't listen to me when I bark at him. Today's run was quite a long one and unusually we headed off road and into the back fields. I was off the lead for a long time and during a long period when he clearly was struggling I took my opportunity. There are some fabulous deer in those fields and I chased one about four years ago but have never had an opportunity since. This time I took it. I caught sight of one in the distance, admittedly far enough away that I'd need a bit of finese to get close before it saw me. Unfortunately I wasn't born with much as I am used to chasing dumb sheep around the place and the deer spotted me early on. However I do like a good chase and so I went after it into the woods. I lost it pretty early on but still I chased around a bit because it made me feel like I could have caught it if it hadn't had such a head start. Well, on my return, the Master ent ballistic. I have never seen him like that before. Apparently I had put him out of his stride and therefore mucked up his run. Lot of old hot air if you ask me.
After that we went past a field of sheep, but there was no chance of me being off the lead for the rest of the run. "Hoist by my own petard" apparently, whatever that means.

No comments: