Sunday, January 22, 2006

Pushed it too far I think

Well it's been a week since I met up with my German Shepherd buddy and I was half-expecting a rendez-vous today. According to the Master, the long weekend run is the cornerstone of one's training regime - although all the evidence so far points to the contrary, unless one considers 5 miles to be a long run. Anyway he was murmuring something about going up to the forest again, especially when he saw my buddy's master on Friday night. Anyhow it turns out that yesterday the Mistress squirted some sort of liquid deep into my skin below my collar. I thought nothing of it really, it happens ever couple of months or so. Well apparently it is to keep fleas off me. As if I'd be home to fleas anyway! what cheek. (I reckon I am as clean as the Master is. I don't think he's quite up to the cleanliness standards of the Mistress - at least that's what quite a lot of the arguments in the house seem to be about). So because of this defleaing liquid, I apparently couldn't get dirty for 48 hours. Well the Master became a little petulant about it but to no avail, we were not allowed to go up into the forest, especially as he never really cleaned me properly last weekend, and it was duly noted. Therefore I found myself being invited to a road run around some pretty villages in Berkshire. Well I say 'pretty' but to be frank, it was so foggy this morning that the Master could barely see 10 yards in front of him. Fortunately I have extra keen eyesight and I caught sight of one Master with 6 greyhounds, all muzzled up about 40 yards away. Well my Master has problems controlling one Border Collie so I was curious as to how the other chap managed. I barked a couple of greetings but they were pretty snooty dogs and turned their hind-quarters on me. Well I only give a dog one chance. That was it. I tugged extremely hard on my lead in the hope that the Master would be taken by surprise. Unfortunately I think he is getting wise to me now and held on for what must have been grim death. The Master with the 6 greyhounds shouted something at my Master but since he permanently has his headphones in I don't think he caught it. It didn't sound friendly though. We ran through the pack of dogs and I tried to take a bite out of one of them, but they were too quick. There was lots of barking and shouting, and I think I mixed it up pretty well.
The rest of the run was a bit mundane, although to be fair it was pretty hilly. I think we did about 8 miles which was a bit of a stretch for the Master. Lugging 14-odd stones around country lanes appears to be a tall order for him.
Music: Today's backdrop to the run consisted of 3 classic live band cuts. There was a live Aeorsmith album the name of which escapes me. The thing about Aerosmith is that they are not a poor man's Rolling Stones, as once thought, but they are more of a Madiera Cake to the Stone's multi-layered Battenburg. That is to say, you know what you are going to get; it doesn't vary much, but it is very good. That was followed by Rattle and Hum, U2's rather maligned and oft-ignored post-Joshua Tree album. It is a live one of sorts. But the thing is, the producers have cut out a lot of the audience interaction; cheering; clapping etc and therefore it makes it an odd sort of live album. Not one of their best and it is surely time for another live album from U2 to hit the streets. The final album in the triplet was the Live After Death from the mighty Iron Maiden. Absolutely fabulous to run too. Especially The Trooper, which has a great beat to keep one's legs from moving inthe right direction.

No comments: